2010년 8월 29일 일요일

Our Life is ART

A life without, chairs, desks, beds, cups, and other furnitures would be miserable since these furnitures help us do what we cannot do. As I walked through the European design in the High Museum I realized how even the most simplest furnitures are designs that took an artist a lot of time and creativity to create. Most of the artworks are so common in modern day that we use them without thanking the artist's effort. All these furnitures look easy to make, however we have to realize that it takes time and energy to think of such designs and actually create them without anyone's help.
When I saw these furnitures, I only cared about their usage. However, as I tried to communicate with the artist and the artwork, I started to see the furnitures differently. The change in focus of European artists in 1985 from the functional and technological concept to poetic and artistic concept started to make sense. My questions of why are these common furnitures in an exhibition, why are these furnitures designed in this way, all these why, why, and why are answered by a simple question through this exhibition. Decorative and industrial design can both exist in an art work. The bond between art, design, and craft is unbreakable.

Maarten Baas (Dutch, b. Germany 1978) Your Best Kitchen Mate! knife block, 2004 Made by Contrasts Gallery <http://www.high.org/main.taf?p=3,1,1,20,4>

댓글 1개:

  1. I really like your view on the artwork here. I also visited the European design at the High. Your last line "the bond between art, design, and craft is unbreakable" is very moving and powerful!

    답글삭제